Technically, this was supposed to be written and posted yesterday, but I couldn’t think of a top ten list. Then, I decided to post ten quotes about writing that I like.
1. There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. -W. Somerset Maugham
2. Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic fear which is inherent in a human situation. -Graham Greene
3. No one can write decently who is distrustful of the reader’s intelligence, or whose attitude is patronizing. -E. B. White
4. Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger. -Franklin P. Jones
5. The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between the lightening and the lightening bug. -Mark Twain
6. The only reason for being a professional writer is you can’t help it. -Leo Rosten
7. I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore the things I’m afraid of. -Joss Whedon
8. When I read my first book, I started writing my first book. I have never not been writing. Gore Vidal
9. To write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write is to write. -Gertrude Stein
10. There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
― Ernest Hemingway