Next week, I head back to work. Teacher’s go back on Wednesday and the students the following Monday (giving me 3 days to prepare. Of course, 2 of the 3 days are professional development, so, really, it’s 1 day and whatever I can squeeze in. Sometimes campus will be open on Saturday, but since I don’t seem to have a principal yet, who knows if that will happen).
So, instead of stressing out over what I don’t know (principal, will I stay at the same grade/class/school, what if I forget how to teacher, etc), I decided to make stuff
First, I wanted to make this:
I found it on Pinterest. It was made by Jennifer over at Diary of a Second Grade Teacher.
I really like this tracking system. It seems simple and effective. I can glance at it and see where a student is without having to stop and think where I gave them permission to go. I went out this morning to buy supplies:
I got the magnetic white board and magnets at WalMart. I had the paint and painter’s tape. My hand is really shaky, so the numbers didn’t come out as neatly as I wanted, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. I’m hoping I can see the numbers from a distance, but if I can’t, I can always walk over (or ask a student to read the number of who is where).
After I painted on the numbers, I mocked up where I wanted my grid with painter’s tape.
I was originally going to do my labels with blue painter’s tape, but it’s too dark. I’ll either try a lighter color or use something else.
Finally, I put the ribbon on.
What you can’t see is all the strings of hot glue. I don’t get hot glue, but it worked out well enough. There are some places I need put some more, but overall, I’m really happy with it. I think I’m just going to use the Command strips to mount it (either on the door or right next to it. I can’t wait to get the labels on! I think it turned out really well.
Next, I wanted to make these nifty little things, pinned from KrafyDesign’s esty shop.
I’m planning on using them to hang the students’ writing. In the past, I used binder clips, but they came in a bunch of different sizes and the students found them hard to open. (That was first grade; I don’t know if second graders would find it easier; I found it hard sometimes.) Last year I just put a push pin through their papers, but I didn’t want to do that this year. So far I’ve made one set for each student, but I have a feeling I’m going to want 2 per paper.
I don’t know why WordPress flipped this picture. Anyway, I may put something pretty on the other side; I’m not sure if I’ll use ribbon or get some crafty paper yet. I’ll post the final product when I’m done.
That’s all I have for today. I’m super excited for my next project, but I can’t do it until I get into the classroom. Until then, I’ll just wait in gleeful anticipation.